I’m starting to hear some horrible stories about issues suspected of being related to hyperthyroidism as a result of elevated levels of iodine from consuming Bonsoy. I’d not have even suspected that hyperthyroidism could cause some of the things I’ve heard. Given how much I read, it makes me wonder how many people have been unknowingly affected by this.
Please, add your story below, even anonymously.
I won’t go into my experiences too much, but basically I’ve experienced:
- Severe weight loss (I usually am about 65kg, and got down to 59kg).
- Heart palpitations and “raciness” – my GP said I was at risk of a heart attack during a small ascent during a race last December; that episode is what triggered me to go to the doctor.
- Irritability – to everyone (sorry ’bout that Kate).
- Sleep deprivation – I’m usually a very sound sleeper.
- Lack of focus at work – I usually have intense focus.
- Constant fatigue and late onset muscle fatigue (after races, or even after riding to work at an easy pace, whereas I never have had that before).
- Inability to maintain my fitness and health through running, cycling and swimming – had to take it easy all summer (and still doing so end March 2010, diagnosed Christmas Eve 2009, but feeling unwell since October or September).
- Inability to train and race (bike races) all summer.
- Constant eating, but craving of poor food (chocolate, chips, other junk food) which led to loss of physique and general well being.
So, how’ve you been affected, if diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and are able with reasonable confidence to pinpoint it to Bonsoy consumption.